Notes from The Kitchen
Jackson Hole Gravlax
Our extensive breakfast service each day includes, Jackson Hole Gravlax with 'all the trimmings' is just another example of the simple elegance we offer in lodging and dining. Chef Bob has adapted his traditional recipe highlighted with Dill to create a Western version of this nordic classic - using local Wyoming Whisky, cilantro and jalapeno.Chef Bob's Jackson Hole Gravlax
1/2 cup Yellowstone Mineral Salt or Course Sea Salt
1. Mix together salt, sugar and paprika and rub into salmon, including skin side. You can adjust the ratio of salt and sugar to taste.
2. Place jalapeño slices on salmon then cover with cilantro.
3. Place salmon with jalapeño and cilantro into large Ziploc bag, add Wyoming Whiskey, squeeze out excess air and seal.
4. Place bag with salmon in a large baking dish, and cover with smaller dish and weigh down (gallon of milk works well) and refrigerate for 3-7 days.
5. Remove salmon, rinse briefly & pat dry. Slice thinly on a bias, and serve with bagels or favorite bread, cream cheese, tomatoes, onion, and garnish with capers, sliced jalapenos and cilantro.
Also, great for use in appetizers, topping for crostini, finger sandwiches, etc.!
For my traditional Gravlax, follow directions above substituting fresh dill for the jalapenos and cilantro, and 2 Tbs. Bombay Sapphire for the Wyoming Whiskey.
© 2015 Chef Bob Schrader
Arugula Artichoke Dip
This is one of Chef Bob’s most popular appetizers. It’s fast, simple and perfect for entertaining.
½ cup mayonnaise
Preheat oven to 400. Combine all ingredients well. Bake in an ungreased ovenproof serving dish for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top.
Serve warm or at room temperature with crostini, pita or tortilla chips.
This recipe can be doubled using same proportions. Also, this basic recipe can be varied, so have fun changing it up. Organic baby kale or baby spinach can be substituted or combined with the arugula. You can leave out the artichoke hearts and increase the greens. In the rare event of leftovers, refrigerate and use as a spread on your favorite sandwich instead of mayonnaise.
Enjoy, Chef Bob Schrader